December 6, 2016

Update by the Shan Human Rights Foundation

Burma Army tortures three farmers, and shoots one farmer in Mong Yen, northern Shan State
1.       Three villagers tortured for speaking loudly

On November 13, 2016, three villagers, including a 16-year-old boy, were badly beaten by Burma Army troops of LIB 119 in Wan Koong Pao, Ei Nai tract, Mong Yen area, Lashio district, northern Shan State.

On November 11, about 50 Burma Army troops from LIB 119, under Division 33, based in Mandalay, travelled from Wan Sarm Mong Mu, north of Lashio, by truck and stopped at Ei Nai, then walked about 10 miles to Mong Tawng, arriving at 6:00 pm then slept there for a night. On November 12, they started walking to Wan Koong Pao village and stayed in the village for a night.

On November 13, at about 8:00 am, several Burma Army troops standing guard around the village heard three farmers talking in one of the houses. The three villagers were Lung Hla Win (aged 64), Sai Nyunt (25) and Sai Tun (16). They were speaking loudly because Lung Hla Win is hard of hearing, and were talking about travelling to Mong Yen. The troops accused them of trying to inform Shan soldiers about the Burmese troops’ movements so they could lay landmines along the route, and began beating them. They were released only when the headman of the village came and signed that they were villagers.

Wan Koong Pao has over 20 households, including Kachin, Li Saw, Lahu and Shan. Koong Pao is north-west of Lashio and south-east of Mong Yen. In that area, there are various armed groups operating, including the Shan State Progress Party/Shan State Army (SSPP/SSA), and several local government militia.

2.       Farmer shot when returning home

On November 16, 2016, a 40-year-old farmer was shot by Burma Army troops of Battalion 69 when returning home to Wan Jark village, Mong Bar tract, Mong Yen area, Lashio district, northern Shan State.

That day, about 50 Burma Army troops from Battalion 69, came from Hsenwi to Mong Bar, where they have an outpost, and stayed at Wan Jark village.

In the afternoon, at about 3:30 pm, Sai Ai Hsai, aged 40, was returning back from the jungle when he met Burmese troops standing guard at his village. The troops started shooting at him, and a bullet hit his right thigh. His relatives sent him to Lashio hospital for treatment.


Statement in Burmese pdf

Statement in English pdf

Statement in Shan pdf

Related Posts