Burma Campaign UK today called on British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson to ask for a meeting on rising tensions in Rakhine State, Burma at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC). Britain leads on Burma at the UNSC.
Anti Rohingya tensions are on the rise in Rakhine State, and there are fears there could be a new large-scale outbreak of violence against the Rohingya.
For months now there have been unsolved murders of both ethnic Rohingya and ethnic Rakhine. The government is blaming Rohingya ‘insurgents’.
Government social media and state run newspapers have been full of stories about insurgents killing people and alleged terrorist camps being discovered. They have published pictures showing UN aid biscuits were found in one of these alleged camps, knowingly fuelling unfounded rumours that the UN is helping alleged terrorists. Now the UN has had to warn its staff of possible violence against them.
As well as the government whipping up fears and tensions, local politicians and nationalists are doing the same. The military is sending more soldiers to Rakhine State.
Unless action is taken to diffuse tensions, another large scale outbreak of violence is possible.
When a group now calling itself the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) attacked and killed police officers last year, the Burmese Army responded with a brutal clearance operations targeting Rohingya civilians. Tens of thousands were driven from their homes and human rights violations were so serious the UN set up an investigation into possible crimes against humanity.
With tensions so high, an actual incident involving ARSA or one blamed on ARSA, could trigger not just another brutal clearance operation by the military, but also attacks by nationalists against Rohingya communities and international aid workers.
“For the situation in Rakhine State to be discussed by the highest body in the world puts the government and military on notice that their actions are being watched,” said Mark Farmaner, Director of Burma Campaign UK. “We cannot stand by and risk another brutal onslaught against the Rohingya population as happened twice in 2012 and in 2016. Everything that can be tried must be tried to avoid a new wave of large-scale violence against Rohingya and other Muslims in Rakhine State.”
Even if countries such as Russia and China block a statement by the UN Security Council, which is likely, the British Ambassador and others will also have the opportunity to make statements outside the meeting.
- Yangon Echoes
June 17, 2016
- Demonstration to free Political Prisoners
November 8, 2015
- Rohingya – The Forgotten People
November 6, 2015
- Demonstration in London
November 5, 2015
- Vote NLD campaign event in London
November 4, 2015
- Invitation for Kachin IDPs Fundraising & Awareness Event
October 10, 2015
- Yangon Calling
May 29, 2015
- Invitation for 54th Anniversary of Kachin Revolution Day
February 7, 2015
- Rose-tinted glasses hand-in at the Foreign Office
February 3, 2015
- Kachin demonstration in London
November 26, 2014
- Drop the Charges against Andy Hall!
October 29, 2014
- Vale Earth Fair 2014
August 24, 2014
- Demonstration in London on Kachin Global Day of Action
June 9, 2014
- Impunity Under Civilian Rule: Sexual Violence in Burma
June 5, 2014
- 2014 Keswick Film Festival
March 1, 2014
- Karen Cultural Evening
August 31, 2013
- Punk Legends Buzzcocks to Headline Vale Earth Fair 2013
August 25, 2013
- Global Day of Action on 2nd anniversary of the breaking of a 17-year ceasefire in Kachin State
June 7, 2013
- The Global Day of Action Against the Shwe Gas and China-Burma Pipelines Project
March 1, 2012
- Women of Burma Living Under Dictatorship
November 15, 2008
- ‘The Real Disaster in Burma’ –new animated film narrated by Ricky Gervais
June 23, 2008
- Global Day Of Action For Cyclone Victims – Saturday 17th May
May 16, 2008
- ‘Wake Up’ by Lo-Star – Benefit single for Burma Campaign released
March 12, 2008
- London protest calls for UN Security Council action on Burma
December 10, 2007
- Stick it up your Junta
November 29, 2007
- KT Tunstall Sings for Burma
October 24, 2007
- Federation of Trade Unions Burma: Sanctions – Now!
October 12, 2007
- Damien Rice performs tribute to Aung San Suu Kyi at concert tonight
October 6, 2007
- The Lady of Burma Play to be Performed in London this Friday
October 3, 2007
- Demonstration at Burmese Embassy in London Following Arrests in Burma
August 22, 2007
- Rock to Remember –Benefit Gig on Uprising Anniversary
August 8, 2007
- Stand Up for Burma 2007
March 25, 2007
- The Lady of Burma, Annie Lennox & Tutu’s pin up
November 9, 2006
- Aung San Suu Kyi – The Play
October 4, 2006
- Stand Up for Burma
January 27, 2006
- UN Security Council must impose sanctions on Burma
June 10, 2003
- An evening of music and comedy for Burma
June 23, 2002