January 26, 2018

Burma Campaign UK is today launching a petition calling on the government of Malaysia to revoke two military awards it has previously given to Min Aung Hlaing, head of the Burmese military.

The petition is available at:

https://action.burmacampaign.org.uk/malaysia-revoke-military-awards-given-min-aung-hlaing

Min Aung Hlaing’s website states that he has received two awards from Malaysia, the ‘Honorary Malaysian Armed Forces Order for Valour (First Degree)’, and the ‘Gallant Commander of Malaysian Armed Forces’. https://www.seniorgeneralminaunghlaing.com.mm/en/about/

Senior General Min Aung Hlaing is the main person responsible for military offensives against Rohingya civilians in 2016 and 2017. During these offensives thousands of people were killed, including children, thousands of women were raped, and almost 800,000 Rohingya fled to neighbouring Bangladesh.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has said that what Min Aung Hlaing’s military is doing to the Rohingya is genocide, stating: “The world cannot sit by and watch genocide taking place.”

“Malaysia should not allow a man it accuses of genocide to keep their prestigious military awards,” said Mark Farmaner. “We have seen many awards taken from Aung San Suu Kyi for her actions regarding the Rohingya crisis, but none from Min Aung Hlaing, the main person responsible for what’s happening. It’s time that changed.”


Related Posts